Monday, August 29, 2005

Road Trip to Tanger, Morocco

(Moroccan architecture at Larache)
I arrived in Casablanca, Morocco on 24 August. My first itinerary was to visit our branch in Tanger on the 25-26 August. The distance between Casablanca and Tangier is about 400 km. Karim (a manager with the distributor) took me and my Japanese colleague, Sakai, in his Corolla.

The journey was a pleasant long and straight drive on the autoroute. To our west, we could see the Atlantic ocean, while on the east, stretched miles of farm land. We felt like we were going on a road trip to a vacation, But we were dressed like traveling salesman rather than tourists.

We stopped by a town Kenitra to visit a dealer there who served us very sweet traditional Moroccan pastry and tea. Also, we ate for lunch, the freshest grilled fish at Larache, a former Spanish fishing town. After lunch we had tea at the road side café near an old Spanish fort.

(Old Spanish fort at Larache)
We took more than 5 hours to arrive in Tangier from Casablanca. Downtown Tangier is buzzing with life day and night. Because it is only 14 km away from Spain, this border city is packed with vacationers either going to or coming from Spain. I believe that my good friends, Chien Yee and Steven were here before trying unsuccessfully to enter Spain.

(Façade of hotel)
Our hotel, El Minza, afforded a very nice view of the Mediterranean Sea. Next to El Minza was a very busy street. I tried to take a walk along the busy streets surrounding the hotel but soon felt weird because everyone was looking at me like I was some kind of alien. Basically, I have nothing much to do so I left the streets and went back to my room for some exercise. I desperately need to cut down on some weight gained from the excessive eating since my visit to Bangkok and then Algeria.

(View for my hotel, Spain is on the left but blocked)

1 comment:

John said...

I liked pictures and very interesting blog.
I was in Morocco. My friends invited me, they have in Marrakech property. I lived in riad (traditional Moroccan house with interior garden).
I visited a lot of interesting places, such as Djemaa el Fna, the Menara gardens, also I had a trip to the Sahara.
It was amazing holiday!