Thursday, July 12, 2007

Veronica Mars, I'm Loving It!

Just finished watching Veronica Mars season 2. Did I ever mentioned that I love this show? As Josh Whedon (Buffy and Firefly) puts it, Best. Show. Ever.

For the uninitiated, the series follow the ups and downs in the life of Veronica Mars, the title character played by Kristen Bell, who is part student and part super-slueth. The series basically maintains a good balance of elements like high school and college drama, social divide problems, murder-who-dun-it, romance, off-beat humour and witty dialogue. Now, if that's not good TV, then what is that? (Read also Deepsixed's blog entry about how much she likes this show too)

Recently, I'm becoming a fan of the hardboiled, gritty and chivalric gumshoe like Harry Dresden and Jack Reacher. And it was refreshing to see a young and cute female Veronica Mars fits into this kind of typically masculine role. I also found the witty dialogue, complex story arcs and plot twists as strong points of the show. The series had received good reviews from Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma), Stephen King and others.

Jackson: I don't care what people say about you, Veronica Mars. You rock!
Veronica: Yes, I do. I also take cash.

Anyway, I'm one season short of completing the VM franchise, since it has been confirmed that the show has been cancelled after the season 3 by the network after suffering at the ratings, despite critical acclaim. I can't wait to get my hands on the last season so that I can continue to root for the hot couple, Logan and Veronica.
Uber-intelligent, witty and cute Veronica solves murder mysteries like a walk in the park

...but can she spell?

For now, it is the beginning of a new struggle between a good night's sleep and starting a new TV series. This time, it is about intergalactic dog-fights, high tech battle cruisers manuvres, saving the humankind and women in uniform....ooooh I like Battlestar Galactica already...=)

No comments: